Begin by noticing your consumption. How?, with curiosity begin to look at the amount of waste and recycling you put out at the curb rather than habitually setting it out! Ask yourself if you could do things differently. Some thoughts and questions:
- Did I pay cash and shop at local independent stores?
- Did I buy locally made and grown items?
- Have I joined a cooperative for shopping?
- Do I support worker-owned companies?
- Am I shopping for fair trade?
- Could I support local economy through timeshares, barter, and other local iniatives?
- Have I started to use a local community development bank or credit union.
REMEMBER, it starts by recognizing and longing to make a change. Begin by making steps if it seems overwhelming.
Earth Economy – Start anywhere, develop a new habit and add another until it becomes your new normal. Remember when you began recycling and the effort to get it organized. Notice now how natural it is!